Saturday, June 2, 2007

yo llego

I arrived. I just spent my first night in Ecuador. The trip was exhausting but I was able to use my spanish. Especially on the connecting flight from Panama to Guayaquil, because no one who sat around me spoke english. SO I ended up making friends with Jonathan Torres, a Guayaquil native and business man (who is also Catholic). He was really interested in what I was going to be doing in Guayaquil as well as the states. We also talked alot about Jesus y Maria and the differences in our beliefs.

I was greeted at the airport by my roommate Isabel's missionary friend Dave Erdel, as well as the pastor who goes to the island, Quicke, and three friends he brought along. We drove through downtown Guayaquil and made a few stops because Dave needed to take care of some things.

It amazed me to see as we were pulling out of the airport, a little girl run up to a group of 3 scruby looking kids on a side walk with a small box of KFC. They just eyed her hungrily and happily accepted the gift she had brought for them. I saw many different groups of children like this. They are much more dirty looking than if you saw a young kid who roamed the streets in dowtown LA. There would be little baby's just hanging around on the sidewalk. A little girl ran up to me with beautiful brown eyes and braids all in her hair asking me in spanish for any coins. I just looked away to Dave for help, I didn't know what I should do. He reached into the change holder in his van and handed her a couple peices of candy and apoligized for not having any change today. She thanked him and skipped away.

Once I got to the house I will be staying in for the next few days I sat and talked with the missionaries. I heard tons of shouting outside and found out that they do AWANAS at the church across the street. Or Owansa in spanish. I of course snuck over to watch the children and then sat in for a little while in their youth group-like worship. I was shocked to see some of the most fashionable young people. So, I escaped quickly and talked a while with Isabel's sister Marina and her mother who stopped by.

I am leaving in about 5 minutes now to head to La Isla Santay with Quicke. It is "Dia de Los Ninos" today (Children fo Ecuador day), and we are throwing the kids a big party....really I have no idea what I am doing but I know it will be great. And I can only use spanish...

It is hot and very humid here, and at about 5 this morning I woke up to rain. Everyone greets you with a kiss on the cheek, and leave you with a very chic "caio".

I love Ecuador

1 comment:

Nate Boone said...

Kat--

Just prayed for you... hope things are going well... miss you in OK.

--Nate