Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What I am going to miss most about Ecuador

I have about 6 and a half more weeks here.
If circumstances were different, and I was not committed to another year in downtown LA, then I would try to figure out how to stay here. So, in a moment of sentiment, the things I will miss (in no particular order):



  • the 20 minute fight through crazy Ecuadorian drivers and the constant breathing in of heavy fumes of smog on the way to my school in Pascuales every day

  • being ambushed by the mob of children when I walk into the school room every morning while they shout with smiles in their cute little latin way, "SENORITA KATALINA! SENORITA KATALINA!"

  • using smiling to make someone trust that I love them because there is no other way I can say it

  • the fresh fruit from the mercado

  • the boat rides to the island

  • my famliy that is starting to grow here

  • the dirty reality of poverty on every corner and in every forgotten slum that makes me want to jump up and get a thousand degrees so I can be a doctor, an architect, and school teacher, a pastor, a musican, a fishman, a seamstress, a painter...and help teach people to dance and sing, and pray. And let them cry and not be afraid that they will be hurt again.

  • The ability to worship God in a foreign land, with foreign music and witness how he can still teach and grow and work his spirit in me, d remind me that his power and his plan transcend the barrier of language

  • I will miss walking around with barefeet and skirts everyday

  • greeting people with a kiss

  • saying "chao"

  • being humbled by my inabilities and helplessness
  • the frustration of not being able to communicate any better than a child in kindergarten

  • the fresh orange juice

  • 7 hour conversations with people that are so common day to day

  • the way of life of being "tranquilo"

  • the spanish worship services held outside my window that keep me up every night

  • the kids

2 comments:

chabelacanela said...

Awww Katrrrrrin. I'd miss just about the same things, I think. Aaand my search for vocation would also get harder :o.

springsofgraceteam said...

its crazy what a smile can convey....and God has given you an absolutely beautiful one that conveys a sincere love.
i love you, sister. the children are so adorable...you must be falling in-love over and over again...