Monday, June 4, 2007

La Isla Santay

The island from the boat




Saturday was my first day on la isla. Taking a taxi down al mercado y the market itself was something to see, and smell. There is a big market where the rickety old boat we use to get to the island leaves from.

It was Dia de Los Ninos, so this Saturday was one big party for the kids. As we pulled up in the boat I was shocked at the perfection of the island. There were spaciouscly scattered bamboo homes in rows on the coastline and the center of the little village was a big school that was built. Once inside the school we met a prayed and sang some worship and had devotions (all in spanish) and then we split up into small prayer groups. After this was done we spent the rest of the day entertaining dozens of little children and appeasing their wants of lots of candy and snacks. We left for the island around 8AM and returned to the market around 4PM. There were about 10 of us left and we were appointed to carry a large amount og long, heavy bamboo from a spot next to the market, to the loading dock and onto the boat. They needed more bamboo on la isla to build and fix up some things. (Next Saturday the group is going to mostly work on reparing homes and more labor oriented tasks, like building roofs and hauling sand.) After the island, about 6PM by now, we all shared a meal at the local Mcdonalds then all went home to shower and get ready for the church service that began at 8PM. Despues el servicio I walked around with some people and got to see a littlew bit more of the city. And I got to have my first "shawarma".

My first sunday in Ecuador was spent at church, watching a Futbol game of Ecuador vs. Peru (Ecuador lost) and going to the movie theater. The city of Guayaquil is very, very similar to Los Angeles in alot of ways.

Tomorrow, por fe (by faith...an expression my ecuadorian friends use excessivly), I will be going to a vrey poor neighborhood named "Pasquales" and try to see how I can help there.

As of day three I have learned:

1) I love Ecuador
2) My hair dries curly in extreme humidity
3) We either die as a result of sin, or we die as a result of giving up our lives to Christ
4) I need to get more sleep, and pray more

i met some missionary girls from Quebec who did not know English, so we spoke to eachother in spanish...one of the most random situations...
So with 17 new bug bites, I am so excited for more

2 comments:

chabelacanela said...

That's great! I'm glad you are going to Pascuales today. That will be different, you'll see! (Mosquitos are the only animals I kill mercilessly).

jrf said...

i must admit i have been pleasantly surprised at how often you have updated your blog. its been blessing to share your excitement and hear about the Lord's work in Ecuador. Keep it up! Stay strong in the Lord and weak in yourself