Monday, June 18, 2007

And The Light Shines in the Darkness





Christ was in the beginning with God, and "All things were made through him, and to him, and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it...He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him [and who still do receive him] and who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born not of blood nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:2-5, 11-13


I was able to spend last Thursday in Quito. The most memorable, thought-provoking part of my trip was the 9 1/2 hour journey back to Guayaquil on a TransEcuador bus. As we drove past miles and miles of forest, banana trees, and other exotic plants, we passed by the villages were they strip off the outer shells of rice. As we came to these villages the scenery changed to a short stretch of bleak dingy bamboo houses. They were all up on 6 or 7 foot high stilts to prevent flooding in the rainy times, and because of the rice feilds. The colorful arrangement of clothing, from skirts, to little kids underwear was the only object shining forth any kind of life in contrast to the dark browns and trash thrown everywhere. My heart hurt as I thought about the people who lived in these houses, who walked across the weak hand-made bridges that were supported by 6 feet of thin bamboo strips tied together. I watched little kids playing barefoot in the mud, kicking around an empty soda bottle while the stray dogs ran around on the porches, and the women hung more clothing out to dry. I cannot help but think that the people who live here understand so much more about life than I do; that they are somehow closer to the truths of God by simply living than I am by reading them.
In Romans 10, Paul says that whoever confesses with his mouth and believes in his heart that Jesus was raised from the dead, than they will be saved. "For everyone who calls on the name of the lord will be saved." But then he goes on further, "But how are they to call on him whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent?...So faith comes through hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." Romans 10:13-15,17
As I thought through my experiences so far on this trip, I thought, who would WANT to live in one of those villages? Who would want to live in a place like Pascuales, where the school I work is located? It seems so difficult to live in a place like that. No bathrooms, no heat, no refrigerator, no nada. As I sat down to eat lunch with Bartola and Sarita in their house today after class, my heart became even more awed at the strength and faith of this woman; who lives here so she can run and teach theis school, as well as help pastor the church for this community. Today little Sarita brought out the photo album, which was filled with old photos that had been glued onto pieces of paper in a notebook. I was privileged to see the life of this woman. From her children as small babies, to the swimming competitions of her two disabled sons. Her faith, her love...so much more, so much closer than I can even imagine. With my broken Spanish I apologized to her for not being able to help much, assuring her I want to and promising that when I come back I will bring back more Spanish, and better curriculum to teach the kids. She just smiles and assures me that just being here is bigger than I know. "because," she says (in Spanish, of course) "you are here to serve God, and that is love, and that is the greatest thing you could bring here to us."

Today I was able to play some games with my kids. In the small space out in front of the school room we ran around, jumped and danced (seeing as how my limited Spanish allows me only certain commands such as "corremos", "salta", and "bailamos". It is such a blessing to be here, and know these people, and these families. As little Rael reached into his dirty apron pocket and pulled out an old cracker that had made its home next to a chewed-up pencil and other living grime, he handed it to me and lit up with such joy when I thanked him and ate it. The so-called "sacrifice," sickness, heart-ache, it is all worth it.

1 comment:

Kelly & Alan said...

Kath, I'm speechless. I'm so proud to see how you've grown. Despite losing your father, you have a Father. I remember in Germany once I held a conversation with a lovely German woman who knew no English and I knew no German. The language of love transcends it all. I wish I could financially support you. I love you and when you come home, you'll have to come meet my daughter.