Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Crazy Days






Where to start.....

Friday after class I was invited to have lunch at one of my students homes. Her name is Jayz, she is six years-old, and her dad just left there family last week. She tells me I am her sister, and her mom told me she wakes up in the middle of the night looking for me.



Honestly, that scares me. I am afraid of hurting her; that I will damage her by loving her and then leaving.



After class we went and i met all the cousins, the brothers and sisters, the abuelita, and the stray pets. I was offered alot of food, peach juice, and all of Jayz possessions (ranging from hairpins to a cheap Disney princess movie). We talked and ate, and smiled alot. Before I left they presented me with a gift. Some hand lotion, and the only picture of Jayz that the mom had. She wrote on the back (literally translated) "to the soul-friend of my heart, so you remember to return quickly katherine". Her mom asked me to take a picture of the picture she gave me so that she might be able to have another copy.



Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon I camped out on la isla Santay. I shared my testimony with people from the community on Friday night, and then Saturday and Sunday Myself, and a friend ran all the games for the children. This weekend God used to grow so many relationships between the kids and me. Sunday I was able to talk about prayer and Jesus with a girl named Paulina, and we got to sit and tell stories about David and Goliath, and about the miracles of Jesus. I left the island on Sunday with about 200 bug bites covering my arms and legs, a bunch of braids in my hair (compliments of about 5 rough little island girls) and a few less bracelets on my wrists (from giving them away).



I have about four weeks left here in Ecuador. Now, my big frustration has been that I want to be bale to teach the kids in my classes in Pascuales more than just phrases like "my name is..." and "these are grapes". I want to teach them about eternal things, and about God. I had no idea how I was going to do that. Yesterday, the Lord answered my prayers in a beautiful way. Just as I wrote about in one of my first blogs, God is able to do far more than all that we can think or ask. Bartola (the school director) asked if I would be able to teach the chapel messages every Friday while I am still here. So I said yes and decided that we are going to talk about the gospel through colors (Black=sin, Red=blood....etc.) then the last week each kid will get a bracelet with all the colors we have talked about each week. I bought the beads last night after searching all day for them, and will be making them all for each student before I leave. I do not know very much Spanish, but with the Lords help and alot of practice I will be able to share for the next four Fridays with these kids I have been working with for the past month. But I will get to teach them about sin, about Jesus, about prayer, about our hope...and what lies ahead for those who seek to follow God with their lives; La esperanza de la eternidad. Pray for me, I need it. I am also supposed to teach them some worship songs...I have two days to learn. =)



It is all so good and challenging, but God is teaching me and showing me so much. The pain in leaving is so worth it in being here and being able to learn from these people and the amazing kids here; in Santay, in Pascuales, on the street.



Thursday A few friends and I are starting a basketball ministry with kids who hang around on the street during the day time. Some cell cheap gum and candy, others take tips to watch cars. We want to play once a week and try and develop relationships with them; be able to be a safe place for them, friends that they can talk with and trust; have a time when they can just be kids. Por fe.

1 comment:

jrf said...

wow! It seems like God is using you in great and amazing ways! We're praying for ya sis!